Gifts for the Bookworm: 10 Must-Read Novels of the Year
If you have a bookworm in your life, you know how important it is to find the perfect gift that will satisfy their love for reading. As the year comes to an end, it’s a great time to reflect on the amazing novels that have been published. Here, we have compiled a list of 10 must-read novels of the year that would make an exceptional gift for any book lover.
1. “The Vanishing Half” by Brit Bennett: This thought-provoking novel explores themes of race, family, and identity. It tells the story of two twin sisters who choose to live in different racial communities as adults, leading to drastic consequences.
2. “The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue” by V.E. Schwab: This mesmerizing tale follows Addie LaRue, a young woman who makes a Faustian bargain to live forever, but simultaneously becomes forgotten by everyone she meets. It’s a story of love, sacrifice, and the desire to leave a lasting mark.
3. “Piranesi” by Susanna Clarke: Set in a labyrinthine world, this novel revolves around Piranesi, a man living in a house that stretches endlessly. As he unravels the secrets of his existence, readers are immersed in a richly imaginative and mysterious narrative.
4. “Normal People” by Sally Rooney: This bestselling novel explores the complicated relationship between Connell and Marianne as they navigate love, class, and their own personal struggles. Rooney’s writing is both tender and insightful.
5. “Such a Fun Age” by Kiley Reid: A riveting and thought-provoking debut, Reid’s novel delves into issues of race, privilege, and performative allyship through the story of Emira, a young black woman falsely accused of kidnapping the white child she babysits.
6. “The Guest List” by Lucy Foley: If the bookworm in your life loves a gripping thriller, Foley’s novel is a perfect choice. Set on a remote island during a wedding celebration, it combines secrets, suspense, and multiple perspectives to keep readers hooked until the very end.
7. “The Authenticity Project” by Clare Pooley: This heartwarming novel centers around a green notebook that a lonely artist leaves behind, encouraging others to share their truths authentically. Through unexpected connections, a group of strangers find friendship and love.
8. “Deacon King Kong” by James McBride: Set in 1969 New York, this novel follows the aftermath of a shooting and its impact on the tight-knit community of Causeway Housing Projects. McBride’s writing is filled with humor, compassion, and vivid characters.
9. “Hamnet” by Maggie O’Farrell: This historical fiction novel imagines the life of Hamnet, the young son of William Shakespeare, and the events leading up to his death. O’Farrell’s lyrical prose and emotional depth make this a must-read for any literary enthusiast.
10. “The Once and Future Witches” by Alix E. Harrow: Harrow’s novel breathes new life into the feminist movement of the late 1800s. It follows three sisters who rediscover their own magic and fight for equality and women’s rights in a world where magic has been forgotten.
These 10 novels offer a range of genres and themes, ensuring there’s something for every bookworm on your shopping list. Whichever you choose, you can be confident that you’re giving the gift of an unforgettable reading experience.